Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Myers


The first time I read Myer’s article, “The Moral Crusade Against Foodies,” I was kind of confused.  It took me another time to read it to completely understand his argument.  In his argument, (I think) he is arguing that people who consider themselves to be “foodies” often times come off as snobby and elite.  It is as if he is saying that the foodies think they are an elitist group of people who think they are better than others for eating the food that they do.

Personally, I totally agree with Myers. I have watched food television shows for most of my teenage years, and am very familiar with the term “foodie.”  I have always thought that “foodies” always thought they were better than others. For example, on a television show called “The Next Food Network Star,” foodies were brought in to the show to critique the “stars’” food. To the viewer, these foodies weren’t anyone important. No one knew what they were there for, who they were, and what their purpose was.  After foodies ate the contestants’ food, it was completely obvious that they thought they were much better than the future stars. They were very arrogant and seemed to think they knew exactly what they were talking about. Ever since I saw that episode, I always considered foodies to be very rude. Despite what other articles that we have read say, I think Myer’s article sticks out the most to me as accurate.

Just because an individual cannot afford the super-expensive ingredients that most foodies use does not make that person less of a cook, chef, eater, etc. I almost consider foodies to be somewhat weird and obsessed with food.  The only reason I think they are weird is because they think they are better than others for the types of food that they eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment